Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Stockpile Cooking...Haystacks!

2011-04-12 11.52.07.jpg

We are in full swing Baseball mode!  With either practice or a game in the evenings it can get a bit hectic and there are nights that fast meals are in order!  Like tonight, so I am making one of my kids favorites and another birthday tradition meal (from my husbands side of the family) Haystacks.

* note* since this meal doesn't leave much room for a side veggie, I put shredded carrots and bell peppers in the ground beef when it is cooking.  This is a perfect way to sneak some veggies into this dinner and the kids never even know!

(Hopefully my kids don't read this because they would flip out!!)

Ingredients:
  • 2lbs. of Hamburger
  • Taco seasoning
  • 1 Small onion diced
  • 4 Carrots shredded
  • 1 Bell pepper diced
  • 2 Cans of Chili
Various Toppings:
  • Shredded cheese
  • Lettuce
  • Salsa
  • Onions
The list goes on and on!  Top it off with whatever suits your fancy!

Directions:
Brown hamburger in pan, drain grease.  Add the onion, carrots, bell pepper, taco seasoning and chili to the hamburger let simmer until it is hot again. 
Put chips on your plate top with the hamburger mixture and add your toppings.

I like to set all the toppings out and let my family dress their plate how they would like.

I'm pretty sure you can whip this meal up in the same time it takes to boil Ramen noodles! 

6 comments:

  1. Jessica...during your segment on EC, how were you able to have such a low bill and have so much milk and ground beef?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We filmed in February and at that time Albertsons had a promo going on spend $25 on participating products and get $10 catalina back. I did this promo in almost every transaction I did with different participating items and rolled thast $10 catalina to each transaction. Also there was a catalina printing for the Yoplait Yogurt I was buying, that one was a surprise I was not aware of a catalina but it was printing out as $2.00 off my next purchase. So my out of pocket ended up being lower than what I had planned. I did have a coupon for the meat, at that time Albertsons had a store coupon for $1/1lb of hamburger, so that helped with the meat. So with every transaction on top of using coupons I was also rolling my catalinas to help pay for the produce, milk and meat that I bought. In the end I walked away with $4 in catalinas to use on my next purchase and submitted for the Snapple Rebate making my end total a $27.00 Money Maker

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you mean by "rolling my catalinas?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would do the buy $25 of participating products use my coupons...pay...get $10 back. Then on my next transaction do the buy $25 of participating products...use my coupons and $10 catalina from the previous transaction....pay...get another $10 back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you shop @ Alb's - I am a Shaw's shopper and they are under the same corp umbrella - your store looked just like mine :) Thanks for giving the new couponers a respectable, realistic image to follow after! Looking forward to reading more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica, our county does not sell the local state (atlanta) AJC sunday paper. Argh. So we try to visit the stores early morning in the next county. Gas is an issue for us all but I'm sure eventually it will pay back multiple savings. I'm considering asking for a subscription to be sent weekly (drastic move-costing me retail to get). My question is do P&G, Redplum and others ever ever offer these same coupons on site?

    ReplyDelete