Yummm, this recipe for Generals Chicken has become
a family favorite for us!
You can serve it with sticky rice, fried rice or even noodles!
Either way it is absolutely delish and full of great flavor!!
*For my family size I doubled this recipe
½ cup chili paste (hoisin sauce would also work) - If you don't like lots of heat cut back on this
¼ cup rice vinegar
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce (regular soy sauce works fine also)
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1½ cups water
1 1/2 pounds of chickn, cubed (about 4 chicken breasts
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
Head of Broccoli Chopped
*For Coating & Frying:
3 egg whites
1½ cups cornstarch
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
4 cups vegetable oil
1. Whisk the chili paste, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch & water in a bowl. Place 6 tablespoons of the liquid into a zip bag or storage container along with the cubed chicken to marinade for at least 1 hour (longer is fine. Set aside the remaining sauce for cooking.
2. When ready to cook, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the garlic & ginger until tender & colorless. Add the remaining sauce to the skillet and simmer, whisking constantly, until the mixture is dark brown and thickened. Add the chopped broccoli, turn the heat off and cover to keep warm. (the broccoli will cook)
3. Prepare the chicken for coating and frying by whisking the egg whites in a shallow dish until foamy; set aside. Combine the cornstarch, flour & baking soda in a second shallow dish.
4. Remove the chicken from the marinade. Pat the marinated chicken dry with paper towels. Toss half the chicken into the foamy egg whites until well coated, then dredge the chicken in the cornstarch mixture, pressing to adhere. Transfer the coated chicken to a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken.
5. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat to 350 degrees. Fry half the chicken until golden brown, about 6 minutes total cooking time, turning each piece halfway through cooking if needed. Transfer the cooked chicken a cooling rack or paper towel lined plate to drain. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
6. Warm the sauce back up over medium heat until simmering, and add the fried chicken pieces. Toss to coat and serve immediately.
Like what you see? Sign up for my FREE daily email!