Do you buy the pre-packaged oatmeal packets?
Don't worry, I was guilty of buying them also! I'm going to show you how easy it is to make
your own. It is super easy, cheaper & much much healthier for your family!!
Lets just start by looking at the cost difference:
- Store bought Quaker Instant Oatmeal Packets, 10 pack (1/4 cup servings) = $2.99
- If you only eat 1 packet at a time = $.29 a serving
- If you eat 2 packets at a time = $.59 a serving
- Homemade Quaker Instant Oatmeal Packets, 60 pack (1/4 cup servings) = $4.68
- Quaker Oats, 42oz = $3.68 & Generic bags, 100ct = $1.00
- If you only eat 1 packet at a time = $.07 a serving
- If you eat 2 packets at a time = $.15 a serving
- Of course this price will be cheaper if you buy the generic brand of oats
- Using items that are already in your stockpile!
- Using reusable containers
HOW TO MAKE:
- Measure out 1/2 cup or 1/4 of oats into each bag and add dry flavored ingredients you would like!
- I store mine in baggies because I find my family seems to be more willing to eat breakfast or healthy snacks if it is already portioned out for them. ( That is my nice way of saying LAZY)
- I do reuse the bags for the next batch of oatmeal since it is going to be the same thing put back in them
- I then store all the homemade packets in the original oatmeal container.
- You could also put it in smaller ziploc containers so you could even eat out of them and then wash to reuse
- Or you could mix the entire batch in a bowl and pour back into the Oatmeal container. Just use a scoop to get your serving.
WHEN READY TO COOK:
- For a 1/2 cup serving
- Use 3/4 - 1 cup of milk or water
- Microwave for 2 1/2 - 3 minutes
- For 1/4 cup serving
- Use 1/2 cup of milk or water
- Microwave for 1 - 2 minutes
MY FAVORITE FLAVOR MIXTURES: *these measurements are for 1/2 servings
- 2 TB Brown Sugar & 1/8 tsp. of Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of dehydrated fruit & 3 TB of Powdered Milk or Powdered Creamer
- 2 TB of PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter Drizzle with Homemade Chocolate Syrup
Like what you see? Sign up for my FREE daily email!