Friday, December 21, 2012

FRUGAL CHRISTMAS GIFTS: HOMEMADE DOG TREATS!




This year I tried a new recipe for doggy treats.
They have been taste tested approved by my dogs, I can't wait to give them to all our
furry friends for Christmas! 

This recipe is super easy and good for them.  No creepy additives or sugar!
I used whole wheat flour,  you could also use AP flour.  Or if your dog has allergies to 
wheat products I would recommend using rice flour.

I couldn't even tell you who to give credit to for this recipe,
I got it out of an office cookbook we made when I worked in banking several years ago.



 INGREDIENTS:
·         2½ cups whole wheat flour (AP Flour works also)
·         2 eggs
·         1 cup pure pumpkin puree (i used my own I had froze)
·         2 tablespoons peanut butter
·         ½ teaspoon salt
·         ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon

INSTRUCTIONS:                                       
 Preheat oven to 350 degrees
 In a stand mixer, mix together the flour, eggs, pumpkin, peanut butter, salt, and cinnamon

 Add just enough water to make the dough stick together.  The dough should be very sticky & stiff.


With your hands, squish the dough together to form a ball.
On a floured surface partially flatten the ball of dough with your hands and then continue to roll the dough out to the desired thickness with a rolling pin.

Cut the cookies into desired shapes.  I didn't have a dog bone cutter, so I used a circle and created paw prints on them.  We also did hearts (my daughter insisted) 

I used the end of paint brush for the little dog treats

And I used the 1/4 & 1/2 teaspoon for the big dog cookies

I think they turned out pretty cute!!  
Bake the cookies at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes.  
Until the cookies are hard and crunchy!


Wrap up in clear bags or cute boxes and give your super easy frugal gift 
to all your friends and family!
(I found these boxes at Michael's on clearance)




.





Like what you see? Sign up for my FREE daily email!

3 comments:

  1. Can u use regulare flower

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh thank you for this recipe! I just found out my parents will be bringing their dog for Christmas--this is the perfect doggie gift/stocking stuffer for her! :)

    ReplyDelete