This weeks Thrifty Thursday's meal is a lot of food!
Roasted Chicken, Braised Vegetables, Hasselback Potatoes & Flat Bread.
For a Family of 6, total Cost $8.24 ($1.37 a serving)!!
Watch today's Thrifty Thursday's Segment on Today's Good Morning Idaho!
- Whole Chicken $3-$5
- 1lb Cauliflower & 1lb Broccoli $1.60
- 6 Potatoes $.48
- Flat Bread $.66
- Garlic Butter $.50
Roasted Whole Chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 450
- Rinse the Chicken inside and out.
- Pat dry and rub with seasonings of choice
- Place in the oven & cook at 450 for 20 minutes
- Turn oven down to 400 and cook for another 40 minutes until the center temperature is 180
- Potatoes of choice
- Olive Oil
- Toppings of choice
- For these ones I used:
- Fresh Chives
- Asiago Cheese
- Kosher Salt
- These would be yummy to make a twice baked potato version!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Cover a cookie sheet with tin foil
- optional, I just like easy clean up!
- Slice potatoes very thin, making sure you do not cut completely through the potato
- You want all the slices to still be attached at the bottom
- Once sliced, place on the cookie sheet and drizzle with Olive Oil
- Sprinkle with Salt & Pepper, trying to get in between all the slices
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown and the edges are crispy
- Sprinkle with cheese and other toppings of choice
- Continue to bake until the cheese has melted
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Instead of normal salt I like to use a garlic salt to add flavor to the bread!
- Preheat your grill
- In a medium bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in flour, salt and oil. Beat until smooth. Cover & Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prep your grill making sure it is clean so your bread doesn't taste like a burnt version of the last thing you grilled!
- Spray the grill with non-stick cooking spray or brush with oil.
- rip off chunks of the dough and with your hands stretch to the size & thickness you want your flat bread and place directly on the grill.
- Cook on each side until golden brown
- Remove from the grill and spread with garlic herb butter
Garlic & Herb Butter:
- Using the vegetables of your choice, cut into bit size pieces
- Place in a bowl with seasonings of choice and enough olive oil to coat.
- Toss to fully coat all the veggies
- Spread out on a cooking sheet
- Place in the oven under the broiler on low until the veggies are cooked and slightly brown.
Like what you see? Sign up for my FREE daily email!