Welcome to Thrifty Thursdays!
If you missed me this morning on Good Morning Idaho don't worry you can catch me next week!
Every Thursday I will be sharing a recipe that will feed a family of 6 for $10!!
Below you will find the recipe + a bonus Rewind (leftover) recipe I shared.
Here is the link if you would like to watch the clip from this morning!
Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Spicy Coleslaw & Grilled Fries
$9.14 ($1.52 a serving) or ($8.48 if you have a garden $1.41 a serving)
- 8lbs of Pork Picnic Roast $1.48 lb = $11.84
- we are going to cook it all but only use half = $5.92 (save the other half for the rewind recipe)
- Hamburger Buns 8ct $.87
- 1 Bottle of BBQ Sauce $0.80
- If you have been couponing you should have some FREE BBQ Sauce
- 4 Russet Potatoes $0.08 a potato = $0.32
- 10lb bag of russets $1.50 or less (with about 20 potatoes)
- Spicy Coleslaw $1.23 - $.57 (if you have a garden)
- 1 Cabbage Head $0.39 lb = $0.57
- (one head of cabbage = 2 bags of shredded that would cost $1.99 each/ savings of 86% shredding it yourself)
- 2 Carrots $0.08 each= $0.16 - free if you have a garden
- (2 carrots = 1 container of pre-shredded carrots that would cost $1.50/ savings of 89%)
- 1 bunch of Cilantro $.50 - free if you have a garden
- Common kitchen staples: Salt, Pepper, Hot Sauce & Apple Cider Vinegar
- Place the pork roast fat side up into a crockpot
- The fat will cook it's way through the pork to keep it moist
- Pour 2 cups of water or broth and what seasonings you have on hand
- Seasonings, fruit juice, wine, beer or even pop are great for flavor!
- Let cook on low for 8 hours
- Shred & add the bottle of BBQ Sauce let simmer until ready to eat
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded
- 2 whole carrots, shredded
- 1 bunch of Cilantro, rough chopped
- 1/4 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbs. of your favorite hot sauce
- 1 tsp. of Salt
- 1/2 tsp. of Black Pepper
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, cover and let chill until ready to serve.
- (the coleslaw is better the longer it sits. I recommend you make it the night before so it can marinate.)
- Drizzle Olive Oil or use non-stick cooking spray on a cookie sheet and place on BBQ to heat.
- Meanwhile, Cut potatoes into fries at whatever thickness you want, place on hot cookie sheet and sprinkle with seasoning of choice
- (I like to use Garlic Salt).
- You will want to flip the fries over half way through cooking so both side get crispy.
- Grill until crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Use the other 4 lbs of pulled pork $5.92
- 6 potatoes $0.08 = $0.48
- 2 Cups of Shredded Cheese $1.24
- (by buying a 2lb brick and shredding it my self I can get 8 cups of cheese for $5/ buy pre-shredded you get 1 1/2 a bag at $2.99 each that would cost $14.95 that is saving you $10.00!!)
- 1 onion $0.08
- 6 Potatoes
- 2 Cups of Shredded Cheese
- Leftover BBQ Pulled Pork
- 1 Onion, diced
- Put the frozen leftover pulled pork into the crockpot on lowest setting all day to reheat while at work or quickly warm up in a sauce pan.
- Meanwhile bake your potatoes at 350 for 1 hour.
- Shred 2 cups of cheese and dice the onion
- Cut open the potatoes and fill with pork, onion & top with cheese
- Return to the oven until cheese is melted
Like what you see? Sign up for my FREE daily email!