Tuesday, May 8, 2012

CLIP THAT TIP: FREEZE BUTTERMILK CUBES




This is such a great idea!

I don't use buttermilk very often, so it never fails when I find a recipe I want to try
that calls for buttermilk; I purchase a container of buttermilk (of course it only comes in one size LARGE)  and only use a very small amount.  Buttermilk doesn't last very long even if you keep it in the freezer.  Needless to say when the next time I want to make a recipe with buttermilk the container is no long good and I start the expensive process all over again!

Homestead Revival has came up with a brilliant idea....FREEZE IT!
Not just sticking the powder in the freezer, but making it and freezing it in an ice cube tray.  This gives you perfect 2 tablespoon portions for your recipes.


Pour the buttermilk into ice cube trays and pop it in the freezer. One quart filled 3 trays with 2 T. of buttermilk in each cube. 
 A few hours later, I was in the frozen buttermilk business.

Bagged up in freezer bags, these should stay fresh for up to 3 months (be sure to date your bags). Even if I don't use them all, I can thaw the extras at the last minute and feed it to the chickens.

I decided I should thaw some and make sure it worked. So I pulled out a cube and let it come to room temperature.

Other than a few ice crystals, it seemed fine. Tasted the same. A purest probably would not approve, but until I have my own source again for making raw, cultured dairy products, this was the next best thing and the most frugal option I could come up with.






Like what you see? Sign up for my FREE daily email!

No comments:

Post a Comment