I have tried so many bread recipes and was having no luck. Until my mom finally shared her Yeast Roll recipe with me.
This recipe is the easiest one I have ever seen and turns out so soft, fluffy and amazing!
As you can see from the picture
my kids couldn't keep their fingers off of them & wait for dinner!
Thanks Mom for this great recipe!!
*My mom makes this recipe with powdered milk & powdered eggs.
I included those conversions for you in case you would like to do the same!
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 extra large egg or (2 Tbl. powdered egg + 1/4 cup of water)
- 1 Tbl. of Shortening
- 1 cup of scalded milk cooled or (3 Tbl. powdered milk + 1 cup of water)
- note- to scald milk stick in microwave for 3-4 min. until boiling. Let cool
- if you use powdered milk you do not have to go through the scalding process
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 4 1/2 - 5 cups of flour
- add 1 cup at a time, you only need enough to make dough sticky
- you can also add 1/4 - 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour if you would like
- 1 pkg. of yeast or (2 1/2 tsp if using bulk jar)
- dissolve in 1/2 cup of warm water (100-110 degrees)
- In mixer, beat sugar and egg until well mixed.
- Add scaled milk (once cooled), continue to mix
- Turn your mixer down to stir, add shortening, yeast, salt & flour.
- Mix until the dough is sticky.
- If you want to knead by hand:
- Flour your working surface, pour sticky dough onto the surface and start working more flour into the dough (as needed) to make the dough smooth and pliable.
- If you want to knead with your mixer: (my choice)
- Change your attachment to the dough hook
- Turn your mixer to 2-4 speed, continue to add flour to the mixer (as needed) to make the dough smooth and pliable. The dough should be one ball leaving the bowl clean.
- After you are done kneading the dough, roll into a smooth ball and place in a lightly greased bowl.
- Cover with clear wrap and let set in a warm area to rise until it has doubled in size
- About 2 1/2 hours.
- After first rise, take dough out of bowl and shape to whatever you would like
- loaf, rolls, cinnamon rolls.....
- Place in a greased pan of choice, cover with clear wrap and let rise once again.
- About 1 1/2 hours
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Like what you see? Sign up for my FREE daily email!