Ham & Beans is one of my families favorite meals in the winter.
It is such a healthy & affordable meal to create.
1. It's not a processed meal from a box
2. Effortless (cooks while you are at work)
3. High in fiber & a great protein
You don't have to be a couponer to make this affordable meal!
Of course, if you have some of these items in your stockpile
you will save even more!
This week Paul's Market is having a killer sale on all the items
you will need to make Ham & Beans for less then $6.50
Ham hocks are amazingly cheap and there is more meat
on a hock than you would think!
This is for a family of 6
if you have a smaller family, score you will have leftovers!
HERE IS WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- 1lb of Pinto Beans $.89
- 1 Ham Hock $1.58 (you will be amazed at how much meat is on one!)
- 1 Onion $.39 (might be even cheaper if your onion doesn't weigh 1lb)
- Cornbread Wheel $3.48 (Paul's has an amazing bakery!)
Or $2.86 - If you have cornbread mix or make your own
- Place beans, ham hock & half the onion (diced) into a large crockpot.
- Put enough water to submerge the ham hock.
- Cover and let cook for about 8 hours on medium heat.
- When you come home, take the ham hock out of the water remove the skin and bone
- Chop up the meat and put back into the crockpot
- Season to taste. I like to add salt, peper and garlic to my beans
You could even make some honey butter for your cornbread:
*in a small bowl, mix butter or margarine with honey until desired sweetness
Like what you see? Sign up for my FREE daily email!